Thursday, April 9, 2009

Insurance

So I spoke with our insurance today, trying to get an in-network exception for the midwife. It was really easy this morning, I was on the phone for only 13 minutes, and got an authorization code covering Leslie. I was so excited, I didn't think to ask any more questions. But as soon as I got off the phone, I remembered some things I needed to ask, so I called back later, and found out that it wasn't that easy.

The authorization code they gave me only covers office visits and "treatment", whatever that means. So I need to call Leslie (or maybe her insurance billing company) and have them call the insurance company to give them the exact things that Leslie will be billing them for, such as the delivery and anything else. Hopefully, since I already have an authorization code for her, they'll be able to easily add on all this other stuff. 

I was prepared to have to fight them for it this morning, and was pretty amazed that I got an authorization code so quickly. Too bad it wasn't exactly what I needed.

Oh, and I found out that Nathan and I have separate deductibles. We both have to meet our separate deductible for the year. Nathan has already met his, and I have barely put a dent in mine. So we will have to pay that, and then insurance will cover 80% after that. So it looks like we'll be paying a little for this birth, but definately much less then if we were having a hospital birth.

No comments: